Sunday, July 2, 2006

The Singaporean Mindset

I was going to write about something happy, but it didnt turn out very well. Just couldn't bear to write something of such nature in my blog. I'm not one of those "I brushed my teeth and ate breakfast" bloggers. I'm a story blogger! So here I am writing about the Singaporean in me.

---
I shuffled the three books in my arms and walked towards the counter. I gave an apprehensive glance towards the cashiers and one led me to an empty counter. I heaved all the books onto the table and looked around as the cash register beeps in recognition of the barcodes. That inquisitive smile popped into the corner of my eye. I turned and gave her a tight smile, taking out that blue card with the shiny Mastercard logo in that corner.
I wonder when would I be able to proudly declare the prescence of that nice shiny logo.
As she cashed in my purchases and packed them into a carrier, I nonchalantly asked if she could spare me bookmarks of any sort. Her eyes widened and she queried: "Well, we do sell a few there." Hand waving towards my back where very expensive bookmarks were hanging off the shelves, their plastic packaging glistening like pirate's gold; nothing good. So I turned back, and said: " Urm, no, not those. I just wanted something to mark my books cuz' I'm reading on the way home." Sheepish grin. "Oh you mean those free ones?" She scoffed. "Nono, just any piece fo scrap will do, even a card." I tried to salvage my pride and image.
Isn't this what all Singaporeans do? Expect a free gift and deny that you want it. Oh, shameless me.
"Well, you could use that." She points at the receipt. I conjured up a amused face "Right! Why didn't I think of that. Alright, thanks alot. Bye!" I beat a hasty exit.
Then again, why no free bookmarks?

No comments:

Post a Comment